Natural energy tips to try now!
Winter is tough for a lot of people. The days are short, the weather can be brutal and SAD (seasonal depression) affects so many. We go into the new year with resolutions of health and wellness that are cut way too short because of the season.
Don’t let your new habits and goals fall off this year.
We are here to share some of the tips we use to stay on track during the winter months. It’s ok if you don’t make them all a habit at once, be patient, practice makes perfect.
Natural energy boost tips
- Quality sleep
- Aim for 7-8 hours at night in a completely dark room
- Sunlight and fresh air
- Get fresh air and sunshine (even through the clouds) as soon as you can in the morning. This is the best natural energy boost you'll find! It can help reduce stress and improve your mood instantly.
- Feel more limber and rested by stretching. Practice some yoga or hold your favorite static stretches in the morning and if you sit for long periods throughout the day.
- Eat more produce
- Fuel your body with vitamins and minerals from the food you eat. We are what we eat and if we eat a variety of fresh, from the earth foods, our body will function better giving us more energy and an improved mood. One of my favorite things about natural, food based vitamins and minerals is how safe they are. Since they are close to the real food we eat there is some flexibility to them. It’s safe to take more because our body recognizes these and knows what to do with the extras, and there are lots of cases where we need extra nutrients. For example when we are under a lot of stress either from an immune attack like the common cold or an allergen, or stress from our daily lives our body uses more nutrients. Personally, when I feel a bug coming on or feel stressed or anxious, I will double up on my natural vitamins and minerals! Just like I double up on my immune boosting foods like berries, leafy greens and citrus. We took years formulating our products to make sure they were bioavailable and just the right mix that the body could use. So we definitely recommend following the suggested usage amount for daily maintenance.
- When it's cold outside we tend to drink less water. If cold water is not your cup of tea in the winter, switch to a warm cup of herbal tea! Remember that caffeine actually acts as a diuretic and can dehydrate you.
- Walk or fit in some cardio
- For an instant spike of energy and positive mood, exercise! Try a new activity or stick with what you love. Make movement a consistent habit and see your energy and mood lift.
- Evening routine
- We're going to harp on the importance of sleep for this tip as well. Stop eating 2 or more hours before bedtime so your blood sugar doesn't wake you up in the middle of the night. Cut out electronics before bed or buy blue light blocking glasses. Find an activity that helps calm you down and allows you to de-stress in the evening. Something like an evening walk, reading a book, or just enjoying face to face family time are great options. Set yourself up for a solid night of rest and recovering.
Try out each of these tips and see how your body responds. I know we all want instant fixes to all of our problems but building health and wellness takes time and practice. Give yourself the grace to try each tip and give it time to work. Before you know it you’ll have a new routine and be full of energy.
We pray your family is blessed with health this year!